Bowl Abilities at The Planet
Bowl Abilities 8 week program at The Planet, Tuesdays 5pm-6pm.
8 September – 29 September & 27 October – 9 November 2020
About Bowl Abilities
BowlAbilities is an inclusive program designed specifically for older teens and adults with a disability to learn the basic skills of tenpin bowling, socialise and increase activity levels.
BowlAbilities is an 8-week program that focuses on the participant’s ABILITY, not their disability. The learning of the fundamental skills of tenpin bowling improves co-ordination, balance, and physical activity levels.
BowlAbilities is run in a safe environment with lots of fun to be had by all. The use of carpets on the lanes gets the participants closer to the pins and a modified 5-frame game and simplified scoring system promotes skill development, a sense of achievement and self-confidence.
- 8 WEEK PROGRAM: 60 minute sessions, once per week
- ON THE MOVE: Maximum of 3 participants per lane so they are always active
- SHORTENED LANES: Modified length to match ability of each participants
- SHORTENED GAMES: Modified 5-frame games (half a normal game) to keep participants focused
- CHALLENGING: No bumpers or ramps used (unless absolutely necessary) to ensure skill development
- 6 LEVELS of ACHIEVEMENT: progression based on ABILITY
- MODIFIED SCORING: Simplified scoring designed to be easily understood
- LANE RANGERS: Program delivered by trained facilitators, who have completed TBA’s training and have experience coaching participants with a disability. Lane Rangers are also encouraged to complete the Special Olympics Coaching Course
- REWARDING: Recognition of individual achievements and progress
- SUPPORT: support resources developed with assistance from Special Olympics Australia and Aspect Australia to assist delivery and communication